Sunday, April 17, 2011

War of the Island Palate--and, Some Good Looking MEN! Yes, this is Folklore...


Club Indigo , Haiti


Born in Hawaii, Jack Johnson's music and lifestyle has the laid back essence of a Trinidad & Tobago Surfer.  Yes, I said surfer.


Something about those waves, whether they are in The Caribbean or elsewhere seems to have produced a culture of "dudes" who play a cool, breezy tune; are ready-at-the-smile; and take on a huge wave like it's a call to a grand dance with a fellow natural--the sea.

Born in Antigua myself with over 365 delightful beaches, I still managed to be in absolute awe of the surfing culture I encountered in Trinidad and Tobago.  I was amazed at the hand-made, hand-art-carved boards; and God-crafted bodies.

I should have been writing, because I was one of the winners of The Cropper Foundation's grant to Caribbean writers--and the only one hailing from the United States mainland.  But the Caribbean has often been a source of collection, not of crafting for me.  There is literally too much life happening in the moment for me to look away.  These surfer bodies did not help the situation!

No, there's no sordid story to reveal. 
But, watching these guys eat, I had the ridiculous urge to feed them. 

I was deeply concerned that for all the years they had been reared on Trinidadian soil, they had been subjected to the spoils of the questionnable dish, known and loved by native Trinidadians---the "oil-down".  

Lover of all things food, when I was told the main ingredient of this legendary culinary offering was breadfruit, I was unable to achieve a proper night's sleep as the idea of it was more intriguing than waking up and realizing that you had not only chosen Prince Charming, but that he in fact, worshipped you as his one and only Sleeping Beauty--the one for whom he had searched far and wide to find and kiss and give the sweet breath of life--despite the fact that he saw you first thing in the morning.  

Oh, how that Trinidadian moon hung low as if it were a bright sun-child visiting the night...

And then, I woke up!

To that foul, sweet-oil and coconut-rubbed thing that my fellow island-writers devoured, spreading grease and woe on all corners of my soul.  THIS was NOT my beloved breadfruit! 

The Challenge, by Carlos Porto

On that day the Antiguan-Trinidadian war was begun!

Under the guise of OUR blog, I secretly had this very moment planned.  May they rue the day Chief Folklorist was attached to my surname!

I have heard of similar food wars between Jamaican peas and rice (again with the coconut addition) and the blessed by God and man "Antiguan-Dominican-Puerto Rican-Cuban-Haitian-St.Thomian-Kittician-Brooklynian" true versions of peas and rice.  Yet and still, the Jamaicans will NOT cease and desist this cocunut concoction that passes as Caribbean food!

I LOVE IT!!  These are the kinds of family duels that bring us to the Global Dining Table and opens the door for our more serious conversations. 
I've been told that I use food, I don't just cook it.  Guilty! 

Let the Dueling Begin
as named by the "Skinny Carib"  OR
 

Like music, food seems to draw us in and once you sit at my table, you're hooked.  Might as well stay for the intellectual discourse--it'll make the food digest easier (unless of course, it is the ridiculous "oil down"...:->!).

While my writing workshop teachers Earl Lovelace (author of Wine of Astonishment and Salt) and Merle Hodge (no food titles, why Merle? Why?) talked of prose and poetry to my wide-eyed, writing sistren and brethren, I hatched a plan. 

I excused myself on the grounds of a gastrointestinal upset.
I wasn't lying; this "oil down" thing cut me real deep!  

I went to the kitchen of the little island inn and asked the women there if it would be okay for me to make my own meal, as I could not digest "a few of" the items that were prepared for the other guests.  Aware that I already had a sensitivity to the sun, they assumed I must be one of the "sickly" ones and were happy to oblige.  In fact, they wanted a lesson of sorts in preparing this Antiguan breadfruit.  But how was I to get the breadfruit?

By now, you know I love a good hat.  So, broad hat, wrap skirt and tree branch in tow, I set out on a village "walk-'bout" in search of a ripe breadfruit.  In addition to my new writer pals who were game for even more of the madness  from "the American", along for the trek were village laughter, finger-pointing, and nay-saying--aah, my old comrades!


But there was that one yard, and that one tree, and that one woman who said "You really-really serious?!"  I'm not sure if it was pity or respect, but she was resigned to my insanity as she grabbed the tree branch and bat wildly at the high hanging fruit--with each swing becoming prouder still to have the one ripe breadfruit that had the power to subdue the very madness that had been brought to it!

And so it came to be that a few mouths in that dark-dark corner of the earth known as Grande Riviere, Trinidad were introduced to a proper breadfruit, as God intended it! 

I believe the new crop of young surfers hailing from Trinidad who are making national headlines must have somehow benefited from this renewed palate.  That 1/8th of an inch of a wave that was rid with that much more ease...   I will let the scientists do the study.  

Many-a-Trinidadian will cry foul over this blog entry.  Jamaicans and their jerk chicken and "coconut-cook-up-rice" will ask for my fingers for typing this blasphemous text.  To them all I say, let's duel it out at the family Dinner Table over some good food. 


It is in this very spirit of humor and love that I hope to share my knowledge of healthy living with our Global Family wherever they may be on the earth or moon.   I will discuss a variety of approaches to eating, herbology, exercise, beauty and overall nutrition.  I will deal with family harmony at the dinner table, even if each person has a different eating preference or need: Vegan, Vegetarian, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Auto-Immune Ailments, and so on.  I will tap from the best of the best and share links & personal stories from a variety of dinner guests.

Or when you just need a visual or auditory feast, you can still come Home to our Skinny Carib kitchen, because we have music, poetry, art/photography and YES, Folklore.

Be ye a hard-body (crunch!) or a creamy body (tasty!), as long as you want to live in the very best skin that you can, join me in the "Skinny Carib" kitchen-- and bring a dinner guest. 

Frankly, I made way too much!



(and for one other, good-looking, talented man who we claim as our own: Listen to This!)


In Global Community (Despite some questionable culinary choices),
m.
Prof. Monique S. Simon
Chief Folklorist/Project Director
(and now, The "Skinny Carib")
THE Caribbean Folklore Project(TM), living island traditions worldwide



p.s. One other looker: Chris Dennis, Trinidad Surfer Dude!
 
See more on youtube when you type in "Chris Dennis" in the search box.

No comments:

Post a Comment