Saturday, April 9, 2011

If You Do Just One Thing: Make "Sweet Water"


Imagine a delicious, calorie-free, stomach-soothing, sense-stimulating way to make your drinks sweet---NO sugar or Sugar substitute necessary (though the addition of some sweetener might be a good way to start if you really "need" the taste of sweet to imbibe a healthful amount of water, as you should).

When I first started crafting this blog page, it was because I was sitting at my kitchen-computer sipping on lemon-ginger tea with no sweetener of any kind added, and it was good, really good!   I remember thinking how much water I drink by default because I enjoy the flavourings I add that don't add any calories, yet add significant health benefits.  And, they weren't store-bought packets of powdered stuff.  They were my own "sweet waters".

My Grandma: Mamma Mary always made cornmeal porridge with Christmas bush and cinnamon, and it was outrageously delicious.   Looking back, I also realize it contained a LOT less sugar than you'd imagine because both the Christmas bush and cinammon as prepared fresh packed  potent sweetening flavour into the warm, happy, yellow mixture.  

I realized this because when I first started playing in my own kitchen, I would brew Christmas bush on a low fire, then use it as my "sweet water" for sweet teas--I needed to reduce the sugar content for health reasons.  I also needed to reduce my food budget because at the time healthy meant "outrageously expensive!"    I couldn't always get Christmas bush, because I didn't know it by any other name and the guy at the customs gate was starting to suspect something.  You see, He was Caribbean, too, and clothing just doesn't smell that fragrant!  But, HE was Caribbean, too, so he understood before the laws became too strict that sometimes you need a good island flavour to save your American state-side life--at least this is how it feels after a burger advertised as THE BEST IN TOWN is presented to you with a dash of salt and pepper, which YOU have to add!!  Carib Folk, I speak the truth, and sing great praises to Emeril, Wolfgang, Pahdma and Lawry's as their dried spice blends have rescued our mortally wounded palettes!

So, without enough Christmas bush (which my friends now say is dried bayleaf), I had to resort to cinnamon water, but boiling it on a low fire for some reason didn't seem to work as well as steeping it for a few days--it seemed more bitter with the boil.  As a science afficianado, I have some thoughts about this; but I don't need science to move forward with what I know from experience...

So, that's the simple, no recipe "recipe".   Get a quart of water, steep 4 cinammon sticks.  Place in refrigerator--give it 4 days.  While you are waiting for the pizza to be delivered, grab your organic cinnamon sticks, fill your pitcher and let time to what time does best.


Message to a Lover, by Suat Emam

Some flavours of sweet suit certain flavors of teas better.  So for "sweet water" cinnamon-blend, I suggest lemons, lime, tamarind (the pure paste), a dash of cranberry-cherry-grape juice, and/or ginger as the best palette match--for a bit more sweet, add some Whey Low or Ideal Brown or other xylitol-based sugar substitutes for lowest calories.   There are many, many sugar substitutes out there, but as I like to repeat: many of them aren't low in calories at all, so read the label.  There is NO substitute for your own judgment.  My happy pleasure is simply to make you aware of your options.   

BUT, I do have a suggestion for the Family Table or Dinner Party.

Dress, by Suat Emam 
a favourite of The Skinny Carib

Setting taste aside, HEALTH is critical, and our Carib Kin do have a community issue with diabetes.  So how do we enjoy our traditional tastes AND stay healthy?  When it comes to anything sweet, we need to apply a 50/50 rule relative to traditional sugars and healthier sweeteners. 

Hmmmm, I like what you are thinking.  If you can cut out the sugar and calories now, all together, why not now?   I agree, so go for it!!  And with a "Sweet Water" base, you may be able to cut down on the cost of those healthier substitutes, too, by using less of even that.  

So why did I say 50/50?  Because I don't want you to get so caught up in perfection that you can't have a sweet glass of something at your kin's place because THEY aren't following your new rules.   Remember it's a Family Table and antagonizing your kin doesn't make you fit in any better at somebody else's family table.  It just makes you lonelier and less desirable to be around.  So be gentle on the earth by also being gentle with the people who inhabit it; some of them are your Carib Kin.

Ah, yes, I like it, now you want to know how to become Family-Harmonizer Extraordinaire.  Back to the above: "BRING A PITCHER!!" or bring a bag/box/several packets of healthy, low/no-cal sweetener to the party--a lot of people will appreciate you for it.   There are already too many napkins and last-minute 2-liter bottles of soda.  And you KNOW your last-minute guilt makes you buy at least two AND at the more expensive corner shop...  Get my drift?!  Plan ahead and buy in bulk: instores or online.  Your Elders (who have less of a food budget) and your Skinny's (who pay way too much for a gym membership, videos, haircare, skincare...) will think that you, my dear delightful kin has descended from a HOLY place.

Club Indigo, Haiti

Are you ready to be a Party Saviour; a SuperSweetnerMan; a WonderWoah-man-That-Tastes-Good, epic hero?!  Cape, optional.







Health Facts: 
Here's an e-zine article that lists 25 amazing health benefits of cinnamon: http://ezinearticles.com/?25-Health-Benefits-of-Cinnamon---A-Miraculous-Spice&id=1665340


Listen to "Sympathique" by Pink Martini-- "Je ne veux pas travailler,
je ne veux pas dejeuner,
je veux seulement l'oublier et puis je fume..."

And a little bit of music while you read here my word of : sweet waters are an individual thing, so if the flavor is too rustic or sweet for you, no harm done, add more water and make a regular batch of lemonade, which I know you'll find won't taste all that regular :-)!! 

But definitely get ready for superhero status at the next office, home, Carib Kin gathering.  As the health benefits of cinnamon are extraordinary.  Here's the article agin :-):


If you liked this "recipe", here's an even simpler one.  Click on the image and give clean, sweet water to a child who'd be happy just for a cup of the uncontaminated stuff.   At Charity Water:  http://www.charitywater.org/   100% goes to the communities in need, for digging wells.   "'De suddin sweet me, directly sweet me fuh true." in Antiguan Creole or in English = That really delights my soul!


m.
For Our "Daily Food" thoughts and inspirations, sign our guestbook by "LIKE" ing us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Skinny-Carib/172081382843231
one of our Peace Pair, LLC corporate affiliates

No comments:

Post a Comment